[AT] Burn bans

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Apr 24 17:07:30 PDT 2020

Carl Gogol wrote:
> In NY our annual burn ban runs from March till May 15, unless it is extended
> due to drought.  By May 15 there is usually enough green new growth up
> through last year's dead growth that a fire has difficulty spreading in wild
> areas.  In NY outdoor burns are generally prohibited except for small
> cooking fires.  The exception is agricultural burns in certain low
> population townships.  Even then there are restrictions on the maximum
> diameter to be burned and it should be exhausted before discontinuing
> supervision.  I'm thinking that it should be extinguished before dark,, but
> I'm not sure.
> Carl
> Manlius NY

Doesn't need to be extinguished but you cannot abandon it. Plus if you
have nosy neighbors you will likely get a visit from the FD or Encon. If
you are in the law you won't have a problem. If you are not it can get
expensive really quick.

We used to run a lot of open burn calls, now it's rare but almost always
on a HOT dry day with a nice breeze.....

--
Steve W.