[AT] Burn bans

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Apr 23 11:20:21 PDT 2020

Prior to this virus, I sold off some 15 head of calves and was waiting
to get a count of which cows had calves and what I needed to sell.  I
had over 50 at that time and want to get down to 20 head of mother
cows.  Within 10 to 14 days I had an additional 15 calves born.  We had
just bought $7500 of hay since I had not baled enough last year due to
losing a lease I had for the last 10 years.  I then bought another $4000
of hay to get through the winter until the price came back up in the
spring.  At that time cows with calves were bringing $750/pr.  For a
short time calves came back up to $1.65/lb and I tried to get help to
sort them out.  Everyone was busy and it started raining.  Now, calves
are at $1.10/lb the packing plants are shut down,  no one here has
enough money to buy 1/4 or 1/2 of a beef and pay for processing. and I
am now sitting on 76 cows and calves at the last count this morning.
Cow Calf pairs are at $850 yesterday.  I have about enough hay to last a
month.  Pasture is very short, I sowed wheat in the pasture last fall
and hit 25 acres with 150lbs/acre of 46-0-0 just before a rain and a
week later turned them in on the growth.  The $600 in fertilizer saved
me about 1200 in hay...  We got a good rain last night, hopefully the
sun will get the grass & some wheat back to growing..    I forgot profit
3 months ago, I am just trying to keep from losing.  Cattle ranchers are
almost in the same boat as the oil patch..
Cecil