[AT] Burn bans

Yahoo Mail walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 19:48:46 PDT 2020

 Mike,I'm over by Paw Paw (just west of Kalamazoo) and we've been having a bunch of out of control fires lately.  People trying to burn leaves and brush especially during windy conditions.  Ya well....   The reasoning behind the ban is, as I understand, to keep the fire dept. volunteers safe by not having to be in close contact fighting unnecessary fires.  The fewer times they have to go out the safer they should be.  And yes, you have a point that it is generally safer to burn off brush now rather than July or August and the farmers around here have a real bunch to deal with this time of year from pruning the fruit trees and grape vines.David    On Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 10:25:41 PM EDT, Mike M <meulenms at gmx.com> wrote:

 Hi all,
Like all of you we are dealing with the Covid virus here is Michigan,
and the State fire Marshall has put in place a burn ban for the entire
state. I know there a few volunteer firefighters on the list, so I have
a question for you. Why put a burn ban in place during the wettest time
of the year? I've been clearing brush all winter with the intent on
burning it in early spring. Now I have all this brush that I need to
burn, but will apparently have to burn it when conditions are dryer,
giving way to uncontrolled spread. Any thoughts to the reasoning behind
this?

Mike M