[AT] [OT] Back to Linux Discussion

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:25:03 PDT 2020

You can get a Linux compatible USB WIFI adapter for about $10 to $15 from
Amazon.
I wouldn't use Wine at all if it was avoidable. I take it that the laptop
was not WIFI because it was a workstation model? was it Ethernet? 4 Gb
should be plenty. I'm running Linux Mint on an old desktop with less than
that but I'm not running it as USB but I have ran other Linux on USB like
Knoppix without any problems.
I have a $12.99 Linux compatible WIFI adapter sitting in my Amazon shopping
cart waiting to add a few other items before I order. I have a USB WIFI
adapter laying on the table beside me but like yours it is for Windows.

.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 3:01 PM Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> We were discussing Linux a few weeks ago, and after deciding Mint/Mate
> would be a good choice, I had some initial success booting and running off
> a thumb drive. Then, I kind of set it aside.
>
> Now, renewed interest as my employer would like to see more work from
> home.  While I'm on the shop floor a lot, I do have a ton of paperwork as
> well.  I have my home computer (iMac) remote-connected to my workstation at
> work, which is... OK at best.  There are several things I find a bit
> annoying, and they'd mostly be resolved if I had two machines at home.
>
> Back to that old laptop.  The Libre Office package that comes with Linux
> is perfect for my needs, but I need to get it talking to my WiFi at home.
> I've got a Netgear USB Wifi interface for that laptop (tested, works fine
> under Windows) but Linux just ignores it.  Google to the rescue.  The
> solution involves Wine, a compatibility layer that allows Windows stuff to
> run under Linux.
>
> Problem - during the Wine install, I got a message that I was out of
> memory.  The bootable thumb drive is 128GB, so it sure as holy heck isn't
> full.  I have been hearing that operation off a thumb drive relies heavily
> on RAM.  This laptop has 4 GB.  I was taking the memory error to mean the
> thumb drive, but that's clearly wrong.  Maybe I need more than 4GB of RAM?
> Anybody run into anything like this, any words of wisdom?
>
> (Laptop is a Dell Precision M4400, a workstation-class machine when it was
> new in 2008.  I used to run Solidworks on it)
>
> Steve O.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA