[AT] Fwd: Fwd: Pictures

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sat Apr 4 16:35:03 PDT 2020

Jim,

I will agree that 538609R2 is the correct part number for the box. I went the the Case dealer’s web site and figured out that when they said it was no longer available, they meant they didn’t have any original 538609R2 boxes in stock. When they said that the 538609RGV was available, they meant that that’s the one they sell. As I indicated before, I misread my scribbled notes and typed in the 351336R12 part number for the battery cover in error.

I went to eBay and looked for 538609R2 battery boxes and found plenty of them available.

So it got me to thinking about what I have and why it mounts differently. When I purchased the Cub, the PO’s brother told me that the PO worked for Westinghouse as a welder for all most all his life, and was one of their top welders. So I started to think that maybe he went to replace the battery box due it being rusted out, and couldn’t get the old bolts out. So maybe he took a new replacement box and modified it to mount in a different manner (three studs through the floor pan).

I haven’t put the battery in yet, so I went and took a look at the bottom of the box, expecting to see the four bolt holes in the bottom of the box. No such thing. So I don't have a modified 538609R2 box. I thought that maybe being a welder he just welded a box of his own, but that also doesn’t look like the case. There are definite bends made by machine and not by hand. The bottom of the box is most definitely machine formed, so this is not a case of somebody welding up some flat plates to make a box.

Now I’m guessing that this is an aftermarket box built to be a non-direct replacement for the 538609R2 box, maybe because of the difficulty of removing the original four mounting bolts once the original box rusts away (???). There are three studs on the bottom of the box, each stud has a welded on spacer to allow for the box to clear the remnants of the old four mounting bolts. I looked at pictures of other floor pans and haven’t seen any that had the three required holes in them. So the floor pan had to be drilled to accommodate the three studs.

Whatever the case may be, I’m leaving the box as is because that’s how I got it, and the fact that I’ve already got it painted and installed. It’s also mounted in the exact same location as a 538609R2 box would be. If the correct police want to check on how it’s mounted, they’ll have to crawl underneath the tractor to see.

Thanks again to everybody who looked into this and tried to help.

Carl