[AT] OT: non-tractor covid-19 activates

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Apr 3 06:46:37 PDT 2020

I planned to open a machine shop when I retired..  However, here in OK
there is not much demand and the only jobs I had were making some
decorating crap for some traveling vendors.  The biggest job was wire
forming for some Potpourri Pie holders.  I had to build a jig to bend
the handles with an air cylinder and rack and pinion. Then I had to roll
a ring and weld it together with m spot welder then spot weld the rings
to the handles  The handles were also the feet to hold it above the
stove burner.  I lost the pics of it.  I had a 20KW spot welder and had
traded for a 10hp Variable frequency driver and motor from a technical
school.  I dropped the amperage with the variable frequency drive to
keep from burning the wires up.  The wires were about 3/16 dia.
It was fun for a while, then I felt like I was wasting my talents on
crap...  Machine shops were  closing down here to send jobs offshore.
So, I have a building with a 36x120 lathe, a 16x84 lathe, a 9x40 lathe,
a Cincinnati Mill with a 16x72 table and universal head,  2ea Kearney
Trecker mills with universal heads, another later model Cincinnati
overarm mill with a 16 x 72 table, A Bridgeport, a couple of knee mills
one Japanese, the other old old US made.  I did one job with the newer
Cincinnati overarm making T-nuts for a big holding table.  Now they just
sit in case I need to make a part for my old junk.  Then I was going to
build industrial engines, and bought the boring bars, head work
equipment and a big big crank grinder.  Never got the crank grinder set
up.  It is still on a trailer and a stray tornado took out the building
it was stored under.
Cecil