[AT] JD 620 clutch cover keeps working loose

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 19:18:18 PDT 2020

It will go on pretty hard. I use a dead blow hammer. I use a stiff putty knife and hammer to get them off.Brian
-------- Original message --------From: Dean Vinson <dean at vinsonfarm.net> Date: 4/22/20  9:37 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: 'Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] JD 620 clutch cover keeps working loose Oh, well that would explain it…  so much for my natural mechanical intuition.   :) Thanks! Dean VinsonSaint Paris, OH From: AT [mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Brian VanDragtSent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:34 PMTo: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>Subject: Re: [AT] JD 620 clutch cover keeps working loose The flat spots on the cover are clearance for the adjusting nuts. The flat springs should snap over the curled edge.Brian -------- Original message --------From: Dean Vinson <dean at vinsonfarm.net> Date: 4/22/20 8:25 PM (GMT-05:00) To: 'Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: [AT] JD 620 clutch cover keeps working loose  Hello, all.  Any pro tips on how to keep the clutch cover in place on a 620? It's just a press-fit situation.   The cover has a lip around the edge, mostly curled over but with three "flat spots" 120 degrees apart.   They align with three spring clips attached to the inside of the pulley.   Everything looks good and uniformly shaped and not beat up or broken or weak.   But two or three times over the past couple years I've had to carefully reinstall it, tapping gradually with a rubber mallet to get it to seat fully all the way around.  Looks fine for a while but then it always slowly works loose again. I had the tractor out this evening for some rear-blade work on a little lane I'm trying to fix up, and it worked and sounded and looked great as usual... but you can see that missing clutch cover.   Dean VinsonSaint Paris, Ohio