[AT] 2. Re: '51 JD A PROGRESS!!!! (deanvp at att.net) + PROGRESS on the '49 A wheels! (deanvp at att.net)

STEVE ALLEN steveallen855 at centurytel.net
Tue Apr 21 17:09:03 PDT 2020

OK, guys.  I will try to answer all questions, and then I have another one of my own.

'51 A:
Got the brake unit back together today but ran out of time to mount it.  Lots of anti-seize on the pins, cam, and spinny parts to keep it all free, and grease in the shaft at the bearing surfaces so that it will not gall before the rear-end oil gets to it.

To answer Dean:  the surface was the inside of the drum, where the shoes ride.  Sorry, but the outside of the drum sometimes looks as raw as the inside.  I didn't mean to imply you were somehow not getting it.  I misread your question.

I started with an air gun to remove the scaly stuff.  Then, we used a rotary tool with a stone wheel and also some crocus cloth to smooth the surface somewhat and to lower the ridge where the shoes didn't ride.  The surface was not perfect by any means, but an hour's worth of rotary and hand work had it looking much better and the ridge much lower.

I *think* it will be adequate; if anyone sees a fatal objection, don't hesitate to sing out!

Gas.  1)  The drain cock is fine:  it will run gas out when the carb bowl has gas in it.  2) The needle and seat aren't stuck; I know because, when I do get gas to the carb, it will run out the drain cock.  The brass screen inside the gas inlet is clear and clean.  the needle and seat are new, and the float is mobile.  3)  The line is free and clear; in addition to being brand new, I blew it out with my breath, and it was not obstructed.  4)  I took the filter casting off and disassembled it, removing the valve core and the screen.  I used air to verify that all passages were free.  Summary, there *should* be an open passage all the way from the tank to the drain cock, but gas only flows if I loosen the seal at the sediment bowl.

I think I have answered all the questions, but I sure seem to be missing something. . . .

'49 A:
Got both wheels off today and took a trip into town to the tire shop.  Bad news.  They can save one but not the other, even with the donor wheel.  There's just not enough good bead left.

So I need a 11 x 38" pressed steel wheel for the '49 A.  Per the A Parts manual:  JD # AA3861 (sub for JD1260R).

I would appreciate ANY leads, but, of course, the closer to MO the better.

Guys, I really appreciate all the help, all the suggestions, all the advice.  Every time you help me over a wall, another looms, but we've gotten past several.  I look forward to the day when the last wall reveals a field on the other side ;-)

One thing is sure:  my son is getting an education, too.

The "original" Steve Allen