[AT] OT Abrams tanks

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Sep 23 11:56:19 PDT 2019

szabelski at wildblue.net wrote:
> Not sure what they’ve done with the choppers, we didn’t deal with
> them. They’ve probably made improvements, but power consumption would
> be a bigger deal to them than to a ground vehicle. When you’re in the
> air, you’re a pretty good target, and there’s not much to hide
> behind. You would want to move as fast as you can and wouldn’t want
> to give up any more power than you really had to. Improving filter
> systems by simply using a finer filter material to catch more junk
> can make air flow lower and degrade speed, unless you can make the
> filter also have a larger surface area, which can lead to other
> design changes And sometimes the snow ball just keeps rolling
> downhill........

One of the companies I visited while doing powder coat formulations had
built their own reclaim unit that had a unique filter system. It had
each filter mounted on a high speed drive motor platen. These were
basically farm tractor filters but the mount was set up so that the
operator could flip a switch and the airflow would toggle to a "clean"
filter, When that happened the other filter would spin up to something
like 5K and the centrifugal force threw off the build up on it. They had
tested the system a few times and could take a filter that was 80%
clogged and the spin would bring it back to close to 90% open.

--
Steve W.