[AT] OT A squid mechanic was Abrams tanks

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 22 17:05:23 PDT 2019

We, as well as most military vehicle manufacturers, sent a good portion of our mechanics to Iraq. They weren’t aloud to travel with the tanks, and were kept mostly in the rear or a depot. I
They weren’t aloud to carry weapons, but knew that if anything broke out, they would hop into the nearest tank and, if necessary, operate it manually. Even a totally dead tank can still put up a good fight if it has to. All tank crews are taught how to fight manually in case a system, or systems, go down.

About the only time you would have an issue fighting a tank would be at night if the thermal imaging system was out and you couldn’t see your target. In a case like that all you can do is fire at barrel flashes and hope you were shooting at a stationary target and guessed right on the distance, since you wouldn’t be able to accurately lase a target.

One instance like that happened in Iraq when a platoon of tanks was stationed to guard the left flank of an engineering brigade during the night. They heard what turned out to be two Iraqi light armored brigades (tanks, personnel carriers, miscellaneous vehicles) advancing on the engineers. They immediately came on line and engaged the Iraqis, except for one of tanks whose thermal sights would not function. They were ordered to back out, but stayed on the line, firing as best as they could and drawing some enemy fire away from the other three tanks. After several reset attempts their thermal sights finally became operational and they were able to kill one of the last Iraqi tanks in the attacking brigades. Both brigades were totally destroyed.