[AT] Statistics In Tractor Manufacturing

Jack jacktractor at live.com
Fri Sep 20 05:25:35 PDT 2019

Around 40 years ago I was involved with technical support of a product that used an early PLC mated to DC Drives in cut to length on the fly machinery. At room temperature of around 98 oF, it would start to miscount. In fact, you could put your finger on the chip where the calculations were being performed and burn it. A muffin fan blew air in the direction of the overheated chip but wires obstructed the flow.

I went to R&D and asked what the test results were that resulted in the 40 oC rating. They said that was a standard rating. After some more questioning by me, it was revealed that there had been no testing done.

[Stephen Offiler] Agreed, Jim, that's also a possible scenario.  Something is deforming plastically, and there could be some failure of the head material in compression.  And, I usually default to the same competence assumption - "some engineer must have measured that".

[Jim Becker] I agree the whole head isn’t going to shrink.  However, I can imagine the pressure from the head bolts acting on the overheated head to cause some displacement of the head material.  When cooled back to a normal temperature, the dimension from where the head bolts contact the head to the gasket surface could be reduced.  This could be confirmed by measurement before and after.

Having not seen the actual wording of the bulletin, I could imagine it stating something to that effect.  I would presume someone at Satoh made such measurements.