[AT] OT Bicycle program

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 15 06:04:59 PDT 2019

Interesting question. I am going to venture the opinion that most school teachers do not study statistics because they do not like math. School systems have a problem keeping math teachers because the practice is to pay teachers by longevity, not academic specialty.

[Stephen Offiler] We can agree to disagree on that point.  The profundity is lost on me.  And I'd hope the teacher knew enough about bell-curve distributions to realize the child might be correct.

[James Peck] It is actually a profound statement. A school child who made this statement to their school teacher would likely be accused of being incorrect.

[Stephen Offiler] I'm not sure if that is an interesting statistic, or simply predictable statistically.  All you just said is that a bell-curve distribution for 2-year degrees overlaps a bell-curve distribution for 4-year degrees.

[James Peck] The interesting statistic is that some technical 2 year programs have higher starting incomes than many 4 year degree programs. People who complete such a program can later take a 2+2 program to get a four year degree if they choose.
http://www.wlky.com/news/mayor-jctc-announce-manufacturing-jobs-initiative/30966584