[AT] OT Bicycle program

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 14 05:33:24 PDT 2019

I encountered BS Level Mechanical Engineers studying Electronics in a Community College. This was a way for them to broaden their career focus economically.

[Stephen Offiler] I'm not sure if that is an interesting statistic, or simply predictable statistically.  All you just said is that a bell-curve distribution for 2-year degrees overlaps a bell-curve distribution for 4-year degrees.

[James Peck] The interesting statistic is that some technical 2 year programs have higher starting incomes than many 4 year degree programs. People who complete such a program can later take a 2+2 program to get a four year degree if they choose.
http://www.wlky.com/news/mayor-jctc-announce-manufacturing-jobs-initiative/30966584

James Peck]Yes, you would not likely get a job restoring tractors without any experience. Yet Honda is willing to hire people with no experience to maintain automobile manufacturing equipment if they have an Associate's degree in Electronics. An ASET is somewhat vocational training. Whether a bicycle training program would get you hired with no experience is pushing it. I wonder what data they have supporting that hiring criteria.

As I understand it, the Japanese approach is to continuously train, evaluate, and recognize employees skill sets over an extended period of time.