[AT] weighted tires or not???

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 05:18:55 PDT 2019

In 3-dimensional space, the CG of a tractor is likely to be very close to
the center in terms of left-right; closer to the rear in terms of
front-back; and some height from the ground.  When you add ballast to the
tires it does not change that left-right CG location (assuming you add
ballast equally to both rears), and moves CG even farther to the rear and
closer to the ground.  It is intuitively clear that a tractor on the verge
of a side rollover will be aided by weight added to the uphill side.  But
from a free body diagram perspective, the difference comes from the changes
in CG rearward and downward.

SO