[AT] aluminum alloy heads was Statistics In Tractor Manufacturing

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:22:02 PDT 2019

Chrysler has been working on an alloy of aluminum and copper for use on cylinder heads. We will see if it makes it into production. There is a lot going on there in a small space.

[Cecil Bearden] Back in the early 70's when I was working at the tractor shop, we were the Satoh tractor dealer.  The tractor had an aluminum head on a cast iron block w/ steel studs.  we sold it to a couple of sisters who had been suing a Cub Farmall with a belly mower.  The Satoh would get grass built  up in the radiator and overheat.  When it cooled down, the head would have to be re-torqued.  The first couple of times we replaced the gasket.  The last 2 times we just re-torqued the bolts.  Later we got a service bulletin that stated the head would shrink when it overheated.  Maybe that is the reason the rocker arm bracket gets loose on the Kawasaki..
In our case the sisters filed a lawsuit and we had to go find another  Cub Farmall to replace the one they traded in.   The boss convinced the purchaser of the used Cub Farmall to trade for the Satoh that overheated and that owner was very happy as he did not mow Bermuda grass.