[AT] Tractor safety

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 07:01:30 PDT 2019

I was looking for something else when Google showed me this report from
about 1995. The age of the report doesn't matter, it's timeless.
https://face.public-health.uiowa.edu/Reports/REPORT-003.html

Most of these events happen because someone did something stupid. Note that
doing something stupid is not the same as nor does not mean that the person
involved is stupid... It just means that they did something stupid. We all
do such things at one time or another and I have sure done my share. As I
have reached the "geezer years" I have tried to adjust what I do more and
more toward the side of caution. That doesn't mean that I don't still do
something stupid now and then but I have at least given it a lot of thought
and weighed the risk involved very carefully. Then I go ahead and do
something stupid...  :-)

I have a long history of loading and unloading stuff of all kinds. The best
rig I ever used was the trailer I bought to haul a 10,000 pound+
back-hoe/loader and I was towing it with and loading most stuff with the
big winch on my wrecker.
I have been giving loading and unloading old tractors a lot of thought
lately. Planning on going to a full width (and fairly long) ramp with both
it and the floor having a traction surface.
I lost a friend to a tractor show loading accident back in 2012 and I think
of him often. He once bought 3 Allis Chalmers Roto-balers from me and we
loaded them using chains and two tractors. I was impressed at the time with
how methodically he worked and how well we worked together.
Here is the account of his death.
https://www.greensburgdailynews.com/news/man-airlifted-after-tractor-fall/article_9de6db46-2aab-54d3-af37-bb77301b3767.html
John was a pilot and a sky diver. The day before he was killed he had just
done a jump at the airport next to the tractor show grounds...

Confession time... Sometimes I know that guys that help me load think that
I am kind of causal when I tie down a load but there is a reason. When
someone else helps me (and I always appreciate the help) I drive about a
mile away and stop and carefully go over all of the chains / straps /
binders etc. again myself. Occasionally I have retied the whole setup. It
helps me relax...  :-)

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"