[AT] OT EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) Drilling on old tractor steel and iron.

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 05:50:37 PDT 2019

Thanks Jack.  Your comments are spot-on.  Since the original comment on EDM
was aimed at me, I'll elaborate.  I conducted an experiment of cobalt drill
bits versus a more modern alternative made from high-Vanadium
powder-metallurgy steel.  I concluded the cobalt drill bits are far more
cost-effective.  I was questioned about the EDM portion of my experiment,
which I never mentioned, was never a consideration, and did not happen.  My
total cost-per-hole, including the cobalt drill bit as a consumable, plus
labor and overheads, comes to roughly $0.30/hole and there are roughly 2000
holes per year so grand total $600 annually to make those holes. That kind
of money will never pay for an EDM machine.

Steve O.