[AT] 1948 John Deere A

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Sat Oct 26 23:31:38 PDT 2019

Farmer,

Thanks for the added information. I totally understand the health situation. Went through something similar but not nearly as serious.  Between debilitating back problems,  a 1031 Exchange coordinator who liked our money better than we did and losing a son, there were several years where nothing got done. I have accomplished more this past summer than probably 5 or more previous summers. Got the house and barn completely up to snuff and painted this summer so we are on top of that again. Another year I would have had major repairs on my hands. For some reason the barn needed much more work than the house and the barn is at least 5 years younger than the house. Rain did a lot of damage to the 6 stall ½ barn doors requiring complete replacement  and the main 12 foot sliding doors all the trim needed to be replaced.  They were originally built to look good but were not built well. I went out of my way to build them right this time. I was able to do the work with the help of my wife. A reals sense of accomplishment after several years of  looking at the problems and doing nothing about it. Got to get a new deck built on the house and then I will be able to say I’m almost caught up again. Then some remolding has to be done inside the house.

Hopefully then I can get back top playing with my tractors again.  Had an absolute disaster hit in the barn this summer.  I had about 10 really nice hoods stacked on end in thick sawdust in one of the horse stalls. A nice dry place I thought.  Well I discovered that there was a salt block left in that stall and it spread to the ends of 3 to 4 of the hoods and literally just ate them up.  These were pristine hoods. I was and am beside myself for letting this happen. But the damage is done and it is not repairable.  Buying hoods out here in the West typically have to come from the Midwest and shipping costs just kill us. That is why I was kind of hoarding hoods. Of course the ones that were damaged are for tractors I’m working on. Oh well *hit happens.

Your comment about the A that you got free reminds me of a statement someone said to me relative to antique tractors.  “Sometimes free is too expensive”  I haven’t ever got one free but I have had a few money pits arrive. My biggest mistake on buying antique tractors was a 1952 JD 50. It was “All Fuel” that had been converted to gas, When I went to look at it didn’t have a water pump but I got it started and shifted through all 6 gears and shut it back down. I wanted a 50 to go with my 60 and I thought the price was right. Got it home and put a water pump on it and was exercising it like I do all my tractors going down our hill and coming back up in high gear which uses up all the HP on most of my tractors except the 1958 720D. Well, each time I went up and down the hill the transmission got a little more noisy. I had replaced all the fluids in the tractor and when I drained the transmission it had quite a bit of water but having water in our tractors is not unusual here. Eventually the transmission noise got so bad that I finally pulled the cover. I discovered that every bearing had been exposed to water, had rusted badly and now that I had new oil in there the bearing were all coming clean and as the rust disappeared the noise increased.  The reason it had been quiet to begin with is the rust was keeping things tight. Got fooled into thinking I had a good tractor and transmission. Then I found out several gears had teeth missing or were chipped. That tractor became very low on the priority list.  I had been completely fooled. Fortunately I haven’t had that happen on my other tractors.

But did find out some good news this week on my JD 720D.  I had come to the conclusion that the Pony Motor was using so much oil it just had to be overhauled.  A $2,000 plus job.  But a couple weeks ago I read something on one of the Internet boards that got me to thinking about the oil consumption.  When one wants to change oil on the Pony engine you open a screw valve and that Pony engine oil dumps into the main diesel engine oil chamber and both then need to be changed. The diesel engine oil chamber is so big that a little oil coming in from the Pony engine is hardly noticeable. Turns out I think I have discovered the oil drain screw valve threads were damage to the point that the valve wasn’t closing properly. Oil was leaking from the Pony to the main engine but since I use the tractor so seldom I didn’t notice the main engine oil level was increasing but I was needing to add oil to the Pony every time I fired it up. Really had me confused since it only smoked for a few seconds on startup and they did that when they were new. So if my discovery is correct I may have avoided a huge bill for overhauling the Pony Engine.  Its my first 720D so I’m learning as I go. Should know in a few days if I have fixed the leak, The threads are 3/8” NPT and of course I couldn’t find my 3/8” pipe thread die so had to be creative about cleaning up the threads. I think I have it to the point it closes properly. Have filled the pony to the full mark and letting it set. I hope like hell that it stays there.  Saving a $2,000 repair bill would be very acceptable.