[AT] Drill bits for drilling our old tractor steel and iron.

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Fri Oct 25 14:22:52 PDT 2019

I get my drills form places like Harbor Freight, or Lowe’s. I don’t break very many drills, but if I do, I don’t worry about it. I always get the Cobalt drills, they do last longer. You’ll find that the ones that break are usually the smaller sizes, which makes sense since they can’t take as much pressure when you start pushing a little.

I worked in a tool and die shop during college and mainly ran one of the huge drill presses. I was really good at it and most of the tool makers brought their jobs to me. The shop owner actually went out a bought a brand new drill press for my use. Nobody could figure out how I was able to drill pocket holes from the back side of a multi-angled piece and make it come out perfectly perpendicular to the front face. It took some time to set everything up, but other than that it was really pretty easy to figure out. I never understood why they didn’t know how to do it themselves, and I never told them how I did it.

Some of the drills I used were large, expensive, and made for special applications. It cost a lot to get them sharpened, especially the pocket drills and specialty drills, they all were sent to a special shop for sharpening. It was important to keep them sharp and the only way to do that was to control the drill press speed and adjust the automatic feed properly. The bigger the drill, the slower the speed and feed.  The drill press also had an automatic lubricator that recirculated lubricant from a sump to the table and back again. Never had any sign of smoke while drilling, so I wasn’t abusing the drills. But it did get messy at times and if the lubricant wasn’t changed out regularly, mold would start to grow and it would start to really smell.

The key thing when using drills is to avoid excessive pressure, whether you use oil or not. Smaller drills will bend slightly under pressure and give you a slightly oversized hole, or one that is not truly round. The drill may also get a permanent bend. When I use my drill press I don’t pull on the handles a lot and just let the drill do it’s thing. Sometimes I will let up on the pressure for a second or two and then reapply slight pressure. It takes a little longer to drill a hole this way, but the holes are cleaner and the drill doesn’t get too hot. The harder the material, the slower the speed and the less the pressure. It also helps to drill smaller starting holes when drilling harder metals, then increase the drill size a little at a time until you get to the desired size.

Sharpening a drill is not a big deal if you understand how to get the right angles and make sure both cutting edges are the same length. When I was in ninth grade shop one of the tools we made was a gauge for checking the angle of a drill edge. I still use it today. One key thing when sharpening a drill is to use slight pressure on the grinding wheel so as not to generate to much heat. Just a slight touch at a time will get you good results. Make sure to get the right angle on the back side of the cutting edge. If you don’t, it won’t matter how sharp the cutting edge is, it won’t bite into whatever you’re drilling.

Not all resharpened drills will keep an edge like a new drill. The manufacturers sometimes temper the cutting edge a little and the rest of the drill will be slightly softer. I’ve seen drills that snap when they get stuck in a piece of work, and then seen others that twist the flutes almost straight when they get stuck.