[AT] Drill bits for drilling our old tractor steel and iron.

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 25 11:34:14 PDT 2019

I've been buying all our tooling at work for the last 25 years (I'm in a
job shop style machine shop with 20 people).
For drills 1/2" and under we run cobalt--whether its in a hand drill,
manual machine, or in our CNC machines. The ones I am stocking now are
made by Nachi. I have also used PTD, Greenfield, whatever name brand you
can find. I suggest anyone needing drills for the home shop to look at a
basic set of jobber length drills from MSC (look them up on line). Their
Made in USA grade should be sufficient--the last time I suggested this
one of you guys arrogantly suggested of course they would be. Most
tooling is NOT produced in the US, don't know why some of you think that
only American made cutting tools are the way to go. Having said that, I
stay away from no name imports---its junk. Also, you don't need any
special coatings for your home grade drill bits. Bright finish or black
oxide is fine. Regarding resharpening, its not cost effective on small
tools in a paid environment. We toss anything that's under 5/16", gets
broke, burnt up, or has a damaged shank. Larger drills we sharpen in
house usually--on a floor model drill sharpener. Over 1 5/16 we sharpen
by hand.

If you rarely use them, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight may have
something decent, but its a gamble for sure.

John Hall