[AT] 1970's farm equipment

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:49:48 PDT 2019

Connecting accents to old tractors... My 1947 Farmall Cub tends to mumble
badly when l ask too much of it. I'm not sure what it is saying and I'm not
sure that I want to know...
We have a diverse collection of friends, many with accents. Many years ago
I became friends with our county extension agent who came from India. All
of the time I knew him I had a little trouble understanding him for the
first 5 minutes. After a bit I would pick up on his speech patterns and
then I was fine. We have had Chinese friends for quite a few years and they
are not bad to talk with since they seem to be very careful as they speak.
We are now friends with a Greek couple (and their family) and we all do
pretty well. Sometimes she struggles to find a word or two and I struggle
to even remember their last name. "It''s all Greek to me".  :-)

Back to old tractors.
My Ferguson TO-20 is my most used tractor and it is still away from home on
display duty at the Super Kroger's over in the next county west. I loaned
it to them last year but it came home after a long weekend. It's been there
for several weeks now and I'm starting to miss it a lot. I use the little
Case VAC a fair amount but it doesn't have a 3 point and about everything
else needs something fixed... I guess I need to call somebody. Maybe next
time I will send my Allis C. Not only does it not have 3 point hitch it is
awkward as hell to get off and on. I could send my MM-R but they need to
move them around to set up the display and that jumpy hand clutch could
kill with somebody inexperienced at the wheel. I have a Ford 8N that only
needs about two days of work to be usable but I can't seem to get to it.
This has been an awful weather year to get things done. I felt really sorry
for my still farming neighbors this year. Many couldn't get stuff in the
ground, a lot of stuff drowned out and then the dry weather hit with all of
that heat that had a lot of crops in serious stress.
Amen Stephen... I like to think that a lot of us long timers have become
much more than list members thanks to a fair amount of off topic
discussions.
Spencer has long given a piece of advice that I adopted to some groups I
managed. Basically it's "If you don't care for the current discussions
don't complain, start a discussion that does interest you". It always
seemed like very good advice. Moe pretty much did that with the mention of
his tractor in his message. My own John Deere A is in a kind of sad state
right now. Needs tires and needs the engine gone through. It's not really
all that bad. If I can get part of my shop more empty and part of it closed
in to where I can actually heat it I should get a lot of stuff caught up.
Heating and a lot more light will make a big difference.
More on that Deere A later.
We  had an inch of badly needed rain yesterday, greening up already.

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA