[AT] Shifter boot repair

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Oct 20 02:37:51 PDT 2019

deanvp at att.net wrote:
> Thanks for the tips
>

> Dean VP Snohomish, WA 98290
>
> -----Original Message----- From: AT
> <at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com> On Behalf Of
> szabelski at wildblue.net Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 8:57 AM To:
> Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
>  Subject: Re: [AT] Shifter boot repair
>
> Haven’t done the foam under the pan trick, but you have to be careful
> about which spray foam you use. The high expanding stuff may actually
> lift the pan higher than you want. I would use the low expanding
> stuff for what you’re planning on doing. Keep in mind that the foam
> is somewhat soft and will compress. It will also start to break down
> over time. It will probably also take several cans of the foam to do
> the job and you won’t be sure that you built it up enough under the
> pan sufficiently, except where you drilled the holes. Don’t know if
> you plan to Swiss cheese the pan in order to get enough foam under
> the pan.
>
> You’ve probably already had to repair the pantry ceiling, if not you
> may want to consider removing the whole ceiling (depending on how
> large the pantry is) and then cut a hole in the sub flooring under
> the pan. Then you can put in solid wood supports between the pan and
> the sub floor. This would be a sure fix for properly supporting the
> pan.
>
> One thing to remember when using any type of sealer is the get the
> surface clean. I usually rough it up a little and then clean it with
> something like carb cleaner or alcohol to make sure I’ve removed all
> grease/oil in order to get a good bond.

I repaired our oddball tub by welding the plastic and then adding a
repair sheet sold just for that.
Prior to doing this I had tried some spray on sealer and I used the
expanding foam under it, thinking to reinforce the pan.
I ended up with the foam pushing up a bubble under the tub as suggested
After that I decided to do a "proper repair" I pulled the tub out and
cleared off all the foam that was above the ribbing under the tub. Then
I cleaned out the areas under the break and welded them up and roughed
up the area and added stainless wire between the ribs. Then filled those
spots with epoxy. Then I added some marine plywood and then sheet foam
until the bottom of the tub was flat and the weight was on the floor.

The reason for all this is because we have a short tub that they don't
make a replacement for.

--
Steve W.