[AT] sandblasting

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Thu Oct 17 09:09:18 PDT 2019

Wearing a hood is the safest way to go when sand busting large pieces that you can’t put into a blasting chamber, along with a facial respirator. The dust and blasting material are things you don’t want to be breathing. The hood protects you from any accidental blasting of you face, especially your eyes.

When we refurbish an Abrams, we put the chassis, or turret, into a very large chamber and fill it with steel shot. The chamber is spun and the steel shot cleans the interior and exterior surfaces, getting into every corner. Imagine spinning a chamber with a 35+ ton piece and a few tons of steel shot.