[AT] Lugged Wheels: On the Road to Trouble

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 05:47:20 PDT 2019

We drove down our township maintained dirt road with snap track chains on, but it was a slow bumpy ride. The lugs only snapped out under wheel spin so they stayed flat on hard dirt. Our township spread steel mill slag periodically.

I remember "No Lugs" signs in an adjacent county.

[Phil Auten] I am old enough to remember the "NO LUGS ALLOWED" (or similar) posted on most rural highways.

[James] This article discusses lugged wheels but does not discuss a reasonable alternative:; Having a set of bolt on cleats for show and a set of bolt on rubber pads for go. Battery powered impact wrenches such as those sold under the Milwaukee and DeWalt brands would allow unbolting one set and bolting on the other in minutes.

https://www.farmcollector.com/farm-life/lugged-wheels-zmcz19octzhur