[AT] Lugged Wheels: On the Road to Trouble

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:28:26 PDT 2019

OK... I Finally remembered the "next paragraph" I mentioned in the last
post.  :-)
I mentioned the scrap pile behind the barn with the steel wheels. Actually
there was far more there than just those wheels. There was all of the
unused 10-20 parts that were left from the creation of the one good tractor.
My father had taken over the family farm about 1941/1942 when his father's
heart got too bad but he disliked horses. My grandfather (died in 1943) had
always farmed with horses and that lot held all of his old horse drawn
implements and a few implements my father had bought for parts for some of
them.
I recall a disk with steel dolly wheels at the hitch, at least two grain
binders, a corn binder, several horse drawn walking moldboard plows, a
couple of wooden horse wagons, horse drawn riding cultivators, a horse
drawn spike tooth harrow, a horse mower, a 1 horse grain drill (for
planting between corn rows, a horse dump rake, a horse tedder and the Model
A Ford that lost its life when the engine died and would not restart
sitting in a railroad crossing.  :-)   My father's modern implements were
generally kept in another area.
I'm amazed that I survived that lot. From about age 5 to 7 that lot was my
playground... I climbed all over that stuff constantly and I knew much of
it down to the bolts.
Most of the old stuff was sold at the "moving auction" when we moved in
1951. The scrap sold quite well. They culled both the milk cow herd and the
hogs and cleared out some extra modern implements etc. Less stuff to move.
It takes a lot of trips to move a farm even those as small as the typical
ones of that time.
Maybe I'll remember another paragraph tomorrow.  :-)

.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 6:02 PM Phil Auten <pga2 at basicisp.net> wrote:

> I am old enough to remember the "NO LUGS ALLOWED" (or similar) posted on
> most rural highways.
>
> Phil in TX
>
> On 10/15/2019 8:07 AM, James Peck wrote:
>
> *This article discusses lugged wheels but does not discuss a reasonable
> alternative:; Having a set of bolt on cleats for show and a set of bolt on
> rubber pads for go. Battery powered impact wrenches such as those sold
> under the Milwaukee and DeWalt brands would allow unbolting one set and
> bolting on the other in minutes.*
>
> Lugged Wheels: On the Road to Trouble
> <https://www.farmcollector.com/farm-life/lugged-wheels-zmcz19octzhur>
>
> Lugged wheels were great in the field but spurred conflict when tractors
> traveled on paved roads.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA