[AT] Lugged Wheels: On the Road to Trouble

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 14:59:42 PDT 2019

The farm where I was born (1942) was about 15 miles north/west of here and
even until we moved here in 1951 The next road east of that farm was the
only asphalt paved road in that neighborhood. It has a number ID now but
then it was known as "The Shoe String Pike". When my father built up a
McCormick 10-20 from 2 he bought after the war (WW-II) as a second tractor,
he put it on rubber on all 4 wheels. I assume it was at least in part
because some of the ground he was renting was located on that road. He also
did a good bit of custom farm work and needed to be able to get to those
places. The ground he rented to the north and some to the west was
reachable without going near any pavement.
Funny, but all of these years later I still clearly recall when I was about
7 asking my father what the signs meant along that road that said "Vehicles
With Lugs Prohibited". I was familiar with steel wheels, the 2 sets from
the 10-20's were still in the scrap pile behind the barn. I just had never
heard "lugs" discussed.
I can go that memory one better... It was mid summer and it was just the
two of us. We were in the 1937 Willys (4 door sedan) as opposed to the
little Model A Ford truck we were usually in when just running around the
neighborhood on errands. The 12 mile trip to town usually included the
whole family (4 of us).
Sometimes my memory surprises me, then sometimes like now I wish I could
remember what I was going to say in the next paragraph...  :-)

.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:16 AM Brian VanDragt <bvandragt at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Road bands could be used.  See attached pictures.
> Brian
>
> On October 15, 2019 at 9:07 AM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> *This article discusses lugged wheels but does not discuss a reasonable
> alternative:; Having a set of bolt on cleats for show and a set of bolt on
> rubber pads for go. Battery powered impact wrenches such as those sold
> under the Milwaukee and DeWalt brands would allow unbolting one set and
> bolting on the other in minutes.*
>
> Lugged Wheels: On the Road to Trouble
> <https://www.farmcollector.com/farm-life/lugged-wheels-zmcz19octzhur>
>
> Lugged wheels were great in the field but spurred conflict when tractors
> traveled on paved roads.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA