[AT] 9N, 2N, 8N Ford and Ferguson TO-20 parts interchange info

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 13 19:24:12 PDT 2019

Robert Sybrandy is listed as the FENA Technical advisor  in my October 2018 issue of Ferguson Furrows. The issue even lists his email address. I am a member of Ferguson Enthusiasts of North America. You’d never guess, would you.

FWIW, the same issue has a photo of the Ferguson-Brown that Harry brought to the US to demonstrate to Henry Ford. That tractor lives at The Henry Ford (museum}.

In the article “Installation and Features of the Swinging or “Horseshoe” Drawbar 677 013, Bob Sybrandy points out that the Ferguson design team actually did some of the early design work on the 8N.

[Indiana Robinson] One of my laptops is acting up so I was looking to be sure I had everything backed up. While looking I ran across this Ferguson and Ford information so I thought I would share it here. It always bothers me a little to think that I might have information someone could use and me failing to share it and it getting lost forever. My files are as badly organized as my shop...  :-)
I don't recall who Bob Sybrandy is or where this information came from. I guess I might have found it on this ATIS list but I don't think so.

Bob Sybrandy answered the question, "Are Ford 8N parts, and Ferguson TO-20 parts interchangeable?" The answer: "Yes, a lot of the parts are interchangeable.
For example, the rear axle center housing for the 9N, 2N, 8N, TE and TO-20 are interchangeable. That being said, every assembly that goes into or mounts on that housing is interchangeable.
That being said, the hydraulic lift covers for those tractors will fit all the tractors. The 9N, 2N, TE-20 and TO-20 top cover and attached lift cylinder and control linkage will all interchange and work with the hydraulic pumps for all those tractors. The 8N lift cover with lift cylinder and linkage will only work with the 8N hydraulic pump but it is possible to install an 8N lift cover, lift cylinder with an 8N hydraulic pump in combination on a 9N, 2N, TE-20 and TO20. By doing so you can have position control and draft control hydraulics like the 8N on a 9N, 2N, TE-20 and TO-20. Likewise you can install a 9N, 2N, TE-20 or TO-20 top cover with linkage and lift cylinder in combination with a 9N, 2N, TE-20 or TO-20 hydraulic pump on an 8N but the hydraulic system would then be draft control only like a 9N, 2N, TE-20 or TO-20.
All the hydraulic pumps can be installed in all of the above rear axle center housings but the 8N pump will only work with an 8N top cover.
The 9N, 2N, TE-20 and TO-20 hydraulic pumps are all the same and all parts interchange.
The 8N hydraulic pump pistons, scotch yokes, crankshaft, cylinder and valve assemblies all interchange with the 9N, 2N, TE-20 and TO-20 parts. The relief valves are interchange but have different relief pressures. There is no problem installing the higher relief pressure relief valves, like the 8N or TO-20 relief valve in the earlier tractors. The control valve on the 8N pump is different than the others. The other pumps are the same and completely interchangeable.
The top cover valve controls on the 8N top cover are different than the others but the top link rocker, draft control spring, plunger and all attaching parts are the same as the other tractors. The lift cylinder, piston and rings are all interchangeable.
It is also possible to install a complete 9N, 2N rear axle assembly on an 8N and 8N rear axle assembly on a 9N, 2N. I believe it is also possible to interchange those with the TE-20 or TO-20.
The ring and pinion assemblies and PTO assemblies on all of these tractors are interchangeable as are the PTO shifter parts.
The 8N and 9N, 2N engine and front axle assemblies are all interchangeable as complete assemblies as are many of the individual parts with the exception of the steering gear and front axle segments.
The front wheel and hub assemblies on these tractors are all interchangeable.
The 8N, TE-20 and TO-20 rear wheel assemblies are also interchangeable as are the wheel centers and rims.
The upper and lower lift arms, left lift link, right adjustable lift link and rockshaft are all interchangeable as assemblies or individual parts.
All the fenders are interchangeable as are the seats, and running boards.
There are more I'm sure but this will give you some idea of the interchangeability of these tractors.
I have a 9N that has a 8N rear axle center housing which is handy because it gives me the tapped holes at the bottom for mounting a swinging drawbar and the long pin below the top link rocker which allows me to attach brackets on some of my implements. A neighbor had a 2N with a TO-20 top cover and another that had a TE-20 with an 8N top cover and hydraulic pump which gave him a TE-20 with position and draft control just like an 8N."