[AT] Hydraulic flow question?

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Thu Oct 10 20:44:30 PDT 2019

Carl,

I think there may be a few issues going on:

1st - If moving or dead handing a cylinder causes the motor to stall, then the relief valve is set too high for that combination of tractor power and pump flow. Many valves have pressure set point between 2500 and 3000 PSI. A lot of older equipment worked at lower pressure. If you have a pressure gauge to can reset the relief vale adjustment and then deadhead one ram and read the pressure on the gauge. Many valves have a gauge port in them.

 Points 2 and 3 below are not direct causes of engine stalling but may effect the power and flow when the rams are moving.

2nd - 1/4 inch hoses seem small for anything bigger than a garden tractor. They could add restriction when the rams are moving.

3rd - valves have different spools with different tapers in the spool. This effects how much flow can pass at different handle positions. This may make it “feel” different than the old one.

Thanks
Dennis

Sent from my iPad