[AT] Right to repair

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 29 19:47:56 PST 2019

James Peck wrote:
> 20 plus years ago I was offered a used  red Snap-On Automotive
> Diagnostic Tool for $800. New. It was selling for around $2000 then.
> My concern was paying for the regular software updates for it.

Sounds like a Brick aka MT2500. They are a good tool and they have
cartridges up to 2008 or 2009. However if you want to do more testing up
to 2013 something like a OTC EVO has far more coverage built in for the
price. They are an older tool design but for a DIYer they are a great
tool, that can do probably 90% of what the OEM tools do.

My current go to scan tool is a Launch Diagun IV It's the size of a cell
phone, under $700.00, 2 years of free updates and 5 year warranty.
It does pretty much everything a factory tool can do and a lot more than
my Snap-On Verus Pro does. It's biggest drawback is also it's size. You
may need a magnifier to read it...  It doesn't do programming yet but it
can do keys and security system work that others cannot.

But like all the others it has a few vehicles it doesn't play well with.

--
Steve W.