[AT] Right to repair

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 29 09:13:05 PST 2019

Stephen Offiler wrote:
> The original OBD ports started appearing in the 1980's, but they lacked
> standardization.  Various different connectors proliferated among
> different manufacturers, not to mention they offered rather scant data.
> That was fixed by SAE standard J1979, which defined a standard
> connector, and made a longer list of data mandatory.  This became a
> requirement on 1996 and newer vehicles and was quickly nicknamed OBD-II
> (or OBD-2).  At that point, the older systems picked up the nickname
> OBD-I to be clear on the differentiation.
>
> SO

Even with OBDII there are still a lot of imports that have special
connections to get all of the information the system can give you.
There are also some GM vehicles built in 94 and 95 with what many call
OBD 1.5 It has the OBDII connector but doesn't use all of the abilities
of the system.

It's why I have about 5 different scan tools to deal with all of them.
Plus some scan tools play better with some makes than others. That can
be interesting at times.

--
Steve W.