[AT] pickup useage

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 27 11:21:09 PST 2019

Crash survivability is also high for pickups. Insurance companies look at that.  16 years back I had a Fiero. My insurance company recommended a Suburban instead.

Herb Metz AT List member (metz-h.b at comcast.net); Driver vision in a pickup is much better than even in a SUV; and with a pickup they can occasionally haul an easy chair (or whatever); and their pickup gas mileage may not be that bad.  Unfortunately driver's vision in a Camaro is poorer than even in a sedan; and vision in a Corvette is even less. The last interstate wreck we had to detour around was a Vette fatally under the rear of a semi. And a 'big boxy' pickup is more readily seen by other traffic; the main reason I quit riding motorcycles decades ago.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer (soffiler at gmail.com); Given the makeup of ATIS - people who are fans of old farm tractors - I'd be pretty surprised to find anyone here who truly likes it.

But on my Facebook feed, I am seeing some small fraction of my friends who DO like it.  Demographics on my group of friends there are FAR more broad, in terms of age, education, socio-economic status, political orientation, etc.  Still a smal fraction by my completely informal estimation.  Now take 180,000 and divide by the number of vehicles sold annually in the USA, call it 18 million.  So, 1/1000.  Yeah, that sounds about right.  How many of them are hauling kids to soccer practice, and how many of them are farmers and tradespeople who actually need a pickup?