[AT] OT war on poison ivy

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 06:50:36 PST 2019

I have been putting off clearing a poison ivy patch since I would have no easy access to washing facilities. Looks like a can of waterless hand cleaner and some paper towels would allow me to proactively clean off my hands, wrists, and forearms every couple of hours. There are a lot of trees with the vines clinging to them. I would need to use lopping shears to cut gaps between the vines and roots.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer <soffiler at gmail.com>; Wrists and inner forearms, yep.  I generally wear long sleeves, long pants, and workgloves year-round, even at the height of summer. Fortunately I don't live in TX ;-)

Phil Auten Texas AT List member <pga2 at basicisp.net>;Years ago when I was cutting firewood with a friend, he used rubbing  alcohol to wash the oil off. I used it too, but the only place I ever got the rash was on the insides of my wrists, where sawdust collected.  The sawdust may have sat in place long enough for the oil to cause the  rash, even though I used the alcohol to wash with. The rash was very  minor, only a few blisters, and was gone quickly. I used a commercial  ointment, I think it was IvaRest, to keep the itching at bay.