[AT] war on poison ivy, it is the oil that does it

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 21:49:10 PST 2019

I was at Kroger a few months back and saw some Fels Naptha bars for sale in the soap section. I bought a couple just to have some on hand.

James AT List Member and advocate of upgradeable tractor vocational training <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com>; Dead poison ivy vines still have the urushiol oil. Burning the dead or alive vines puts the oil into the air. Women wearing dresses can really be messed up by being exposed to the burning poison ivy smoke. Watch out for poison ivy vine covered firewood.

Fels Naphtha soap, sold here and there, will cut the urushiol oil that causes the rash. Wash your hands with this before washing any other part of you if you have been cutting out, pulling out, walking through, or mowing poison ivy. Be really careful about relieving yourself or touching your face. Wear rubber boots with your pants inside them  if you are mowing or walking in poison ivy and wash them off as a final step also. Do not shower or bathe until your hands are well cleaned. Multiple pairs of cloth gloves are good, put these in the washing machine.

I used to rub dust over my hands to pull out a random piece here and there. Any piece of root left in the ground will grow back.

I have seen deer eating poison ivy leaves.

Moe Fretz L’Orignal ON, Canada AT List member <tubetester at gmail.com>; “Roundup” will