[AT] Knowing when to call it a day

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 05:33:21 PST 2019

Glad to be free of Osage Orange, Hawthorne, Honey Locust here in southern
New England!

What I've been fighting since I moved in 16 years ago are clumps of autumn
olive and mulitflora rose also entwined by invasive vines including
bittersweet, poison ivy, and/or wild grape.  I don't know why (birds,
maybe?) but they always grow together in a tangled clump that can go 10+ ft
high and 20+ ft diameter.  My property was pasture land several decades ago
and the previous owner who built the house just let it go.  The word
"jungle" is not an exaggeration.  We've hand-cleared about 2 acres.  My
wife starts the attack with her favorite loppers (Stihl) then I follow with
chainsaw and pull the stumps with the Ford 1520.  The autumn olive can have
stumps 10" diameter but it is pretty weak and puts up just enough fight to
be rewarding.  I have pulled literally hundreds, no exaggeration.  The
pasture grasses come right back and a year later you'd never know the
difference.

Steve O.