[AT] Knowing when to call it a day

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Nov 16 17:30:22 PST 2019

I have wanted to go to Portland from the first time I heard about it on
ATIS.  My wife & I don't travel well.  we used to frive 16 to 17 hrs a
day when I was on the board of the Association of State Dam Officials.
The second longest trip was to Boston.  Took Us 3 days from Oklahoma.
The longest was Hawaii, but I could not find a ferry to take us across
the big pond to the west.  We flew and rented a car for awhile, but
trying to fit flea market & swap meet buys in our luggage got to be a
real hassle so we bought a small used Airstream and I spent 8 weeks
rebuilding it after work and weekends and we made the quarterly meetings
and the annual one around the US for about 4 years.  We first started
out pulling it with a low geared 80's model Dodge 1/2 ton pickup 318
engine auto and 4.10 rear end.  I had to change out the fan clutch in
southern Illinois on a trip to Washington DC. We graduated to a suburban
with a hot rod 350 and 4 spd automatic that I built myself.  I ended up
with a Ford F350 diesel auto crew cab.  Then the Airstream got parked by
the barn one week and the horses knocked out the power cord connection
and the freeqer melted the fruit bars in the freezer.  The rats smelled
the sugary liquid and ate up the carpet and floor where they had melted
out of the fridge.  I moved it up by the house and a blackbird crawled
in the kitchen stove vent and crapped all over the place before he
died.   The trailer was built in the 60's.  The shell is supported by an
aluminum angle that fastens on the floor.  The floor is 3/4 inch marine
plywood.  Problem is the old insulation and the ridiculous window seals
leak and the plywood rots over time.  ( nearly 60 years).  It needs to
have the shell pulled off and a complete restoration.  I would love to
do it, but with 60 head of cattle, 9 tractors 6 that do not run right
now, and 300 acres of hay to cut, I really don't have time.
I had a friend who is a welder and mechanic build a bucket to replace
the old one on my JD skid steer I got back in August.  It was at his
place about 2 months.  I should have just bought a bucket......  I got
the skid steer home last night.  Started to work with it some this
morning.  30 minutes of work and blew the hydraulic hoses on the boom
and now it looks like a 3 hour job to replace the hoses...
Cecil