[AT] soda blasting

Mitchell Daly md31043 at msn.com
Fri Nov 15 07:28:43 PST 2019

Eight years ago , I had a commercial blaster come in and clean off my JD 420 U for re-painting as I restored it.He also did my grandson's 110 lawn tractor at the same time. He was equipped with a large trailered compressor that was equipped with a large series of air driers because the soda needs to be kept dry so that it doesn't clump. I was amazed at what he did. It leaves no nasty residue like sand blasting does and it will not affect nor damage chrome, glass, etc. It leaves the metal in original condition and does remove rust, but not heavy rust. Before you can paint the metal, you have to pressure wash it with a neutralizing solution or the paint won't properly adhere as the soda leaves the metal with a high Ph coating on it. The blasted metal will not flash rust like sandblasted metal will before you neutralize it because of this residual Ph coating. I will search my photo files and send pictures of the tractor after it was blasted. A local I-H collector and farmer who also has a high class restoration business will not paint without first having the tractors or parts stripped by soda blasting. He now is also in the soda blasting business after he has seen the results of using it compared to sand. You don't have to worry about residual blasting media seeping into bearings, etc. as you do with sand blasting. I'm unsure how these small units like have been discussed here will work unless you have a lot of DRY air pressure.

Mitch Daly
md31043 at msn.com