[AT] Freeze plugs

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Fri Nov 8 07:59:06 PST 2019

> On Nov 8, 2019, at 9:32 AM, Indiana Robinson <robinson46176 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure why, neither are grape flavored.

Ha!

I should have been clearer.  I was referring to the cup shaped ones.    I have had good success with the disc/dome plugs. But I have not done nearly as many of his them and my 100% success rate on those is probably sampling error.  (-;

I have a Mac tool called the “slammer hammer”.  Drill a hole in the old plug, screw in the chuck with a screw, attach the slammer hammer and it pops right out.   So I know I am not damaging the sides with the removal of the old plug; which I have seen folks do with drifts, punches and chisels.

And like I’ve said, even though  I’ve probably installed 35-40 and only had a few leak I could not explain why they leaked and have been assuming operator error/technique.

The continental engines on the Masseys had disc/dome type but only the Pacer has had such an extensive rebuild that all the freeze plugs had to be pulled and installed. The 22, colt, mustang and others I think maybe I’ve only done one or two corroded leakers on those.  I can’t remember doing any others.

Thanks for all the continued advice!

Spencer