[AT] Questionable ignition coil

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Wed Nov 6 11:57:12 PST 2019

Yes, DC resistance tests can be run on the coils but that might only rule out the obviously bad ones.  The problem we have as shade tree mechanics we typically don’t have adequate test tools. A coil is one that requires specialty high voltage test equipment when not mounted on a running engine. A lot of coil failures are due to high voltage break down and may  only occur at higher temperatures or even intermittently. Testing for that without the specialty tools is next to impossible except for actual installation and various environmental test.  DC tests will discard the most obvious but trying them on a running tractor may be the only good test. And that may miss those that fail under extreme conditions.

Dean VP

Snohomish, WA 98290