[AT] Questionable ignition coil

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Nov 5 17:46:33 PST 2019

I have a couple of old Sun distributor testers.  I check coils with
them.  You can tell if the problem is with cranking or high speed.  I
had a 6cyl 292 chevy that would cut out above 2500 rpm.   I had checked
all the valves,  rebuilt the carb, replaced the points etc.  I put a
"new"rebuilt distributor on the sun machine, and found that the
distributor shaft was worn and with the new bearing it had a clearance
of nearly 0.010  At 2000 rpm it started to oscillate.  I took it apart
and found that the distributor must have been in a watery junkyard for
years.  I took apart 3 distributors and ended up building up the wear on
one shaft, then building a bushing out of a piece of Nylatron. Nylatron
is a type of nylon that is impregnated with graphite.  I use it for a
lot of bushings.  I bored the distributor out and replaced the top
bushing with nylatron and the bottom one with brass.  By honing, I got
the top of the shaft to 0.000 side movement, and the bottom with the
gear to 0.005in...  Then I set it back up and tested the coil firing.
This time the coil worked fine up to 5000rpm until I set a hair dryer to
warm up the coil. With a infrared temp gauge at 140 deg, the coil would
break down at 2000 rpm.  This time I tried an Accel Super Street/Strip
coil 45000V, it would fire a 1/2 inch blue spark up to 6000 rpm.  I
installed the distributor and coil in my old winch truck, and it had
twice the power as before.
Cecil