[AT] tractor related employment preparation

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 06:02:19 PST 2019

University of Massachusetts at Lowell? Stephen can drive over and verify this in person.

https://gps.uml.edu/degrees/undergrad/online-bachelors-mechanical-engineering-degree.cfm

[James Peck] https://harrisburg.psu.edu/science-engineering-technology/me-met/bachelor-science-mechanical-engineering-technology

[Stephen Offiler] My only point, which is not addressed in either of the links provided, is that engineering technology is a 2-year program while engineering (to the Bachelor's level) is a 4-year program.  To be perfectly clear, I mention this in direct rebuttal to James' previous comment which implied engineering technology degrees are 4 years.  That said, my knowledge and experience is in the mechanical engineering field.  Perhaps there are other branches (Aerospace?  Chemical?  Nuclear?) where the techs have 4 year degrees.

[ James Peck] Neither a 2 nor a 4 year degree in liberal arts or basket weaving would gain you admission to the third year of a 2+2 engineering technology program.

https://www.communitycollegereview.com/blog/2-2-programs-going-strong-at-community-colleges-nationwide

I have known BSME graduate engineers who took 2 year Electronic Technology programs.

[Stephen Offiler]  Four-year engineering technology programs?  It's been a while for me (BSME '84) but the technology programs I am most familiar with are two-year.  I suppose, if you spend a couple years in Liberal Arts and Basket Weaving, then you buckle down for the next two, it would be a four-year program.

[James] <snip> The public was not aware back then of the process of getting an associate degree that qualifies you to be an entry level mechanic and then getting a four year degree in Engineering Technology by taking the 3rd and 4th years. I was not at the time or I would have done so. <snip>

.