[AT] DS3PH was IH Fast Hitch

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 08:35:30 PST 2019

I feel the need for a term like "Draft Sensitive Three Point Hitch" (DS3PH). Would you know the Oliver  Super 55 DS3PH fact from a reference source accessible by all comers or from insider knowledge? This fact might need to be recorded in Wikipedia.

Harry Ferguson put a lot of 3 point technology in the public domain when he walked away from Ferguson-Brown in 1939.

The M-H GP had gear reduction castings extending down roughly as far as the rims. Not good. IH has already eliminated it.

Dean VP Snohomish WA 98290 Deerecentric AT List Member (deanvp at att.net); As far as I know the Oliver Super 55 would have been the first Oliver with draft sensitive 3 pt hitch and it was the first Super model introduced in the summer of 1954. This would be consistent with the Ford/Ferguson Settlement in 1952. JD's first full conventional 3 point hitch was on the JD 40 announced in the fall of 1953. Full Conventional 3 point hitches were announced on the Waterloo built Row Crop JD Tractors for the 1956 models.

James AT List Member and advocate of upgradeable tractor vocational training (jamesgpeck at hotmail.com); My grandfather had a M-H General Purpose and my dad drove it. If MH had put a three point hitch on the back they might have had something.

1930-1938 - Massey Harris develops its M-H General Purpose tractor, the industry's first four-wheel-drive, steel-wheeled tractor. It also has an adjustable track width. Unfortunately, the benefits of four-wheel drive were not yet fully understood. The machine was modernized in 1936 with the installation of rubber tires, but sales failed to increase.

https://www.farm-equipment.com/articles/4269-feature-articles---timeline-of-ag-equipment-firsts