[AT] OT war on poison ivy

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 20 08:02:38 PST 2019

Since the detergents used for washing clothes seem to remove urushiol oil from them, it is reasonable to believe that a detergent will work as well as a petroleum distillate as a solvent for urushiol. I should have said that the product's inconvenient bar size has persisted since I first started using it.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer <soffiler at gmail.com>; If you choose to believe Wikipedia, the original Fels-Naptha soap was intended for laundry use, and it contained naphtha (please note spelling) which is a petroleum distillate.  Somebody discovered it was good at removing urushiol.  But then they had to remove the naphtha because it is carcinogenic.  The reputation for effectiveness against urushiol persists. (Along with warnings that it is intended for laundry use and may cause skin irritation.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fels-Naptha