[AT] weighted tires or not

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon May 27 06:32:54 PDT 2019

El Reno had hell 2 nights ago.  Also some of OKC.  El Reno has flooding
from the river.  The Army Corps is working overtime.

Here is the link to the lake levels......
http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/Daily_Morning_Reservoir_Report.pdf

We are on high ground here.  However, this high ground is what is left
of the upper part of the Permian sea bed.  It is tight red clay about 2
to 4 ft deep over a 80ft thick layer of red shale. We are 10 inches
above "normal" here and with low ground temps water is standing from 1
to 4 inches deep on the flat ground.  It is beginning to get stagnant.
I am using my "new" D6D to build creek crossings for my cattle and my
atv.  I spent yesterday with the E110B cleaning out a creek and getting
enough shale in the process to build another crossing.   Problem is when
I calculate the culvert needed for one road crossing that only drains 20
acres with the soil type and the land slope, I need a 4ft diameter pipe
to handle the 100 yr flood.  That is a $1500 pipe for one crossing.  I
am trying to build holding ponds for some of my road crossings, but they
are a drop in the bucket.  We spent $9000 for shale just before these
rains started to fix the road entrance and 2 crossings so we could feed
our cows.  That shale is over 1/4 gone due to the rain...  I had some
pipes in the roadway, but the overflow washed the shale down the creek
and trying to get it back is futile at best.

We should be cutting hay now, but the wet weather has ruined anything
that was cut, and the ground is too wet to cut.   I sowed certified Rye
seed on one of my fields last fall, it was full of jointed goatgrass, a
invasive species  that takes over a wheat field and doesn't have a leaf
structure that allows spray to be effective.  It does not have any
leaves for forage either.  The wheat seed I saved that came straight of
the combine did nto have anything but wheat in it.    This is the 3rd
time I have been screwed by the "certified" and state licensed seed
dealers....  I need to mow it down before it matures, I would like to
just plow the field up, but I have been trying to get it established in
Native grass.  This rain has got the native growing, if I plow it I will
lose the native....  If it ever gets dry enough I can get the tractor
over it, I will mow it down...

Someone on this list said it best a few years back.  A dry year will
scare you, but a wet year will kill you.

Cecil