[AT] I need a little education on these Case VAC's

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 20:24:55 PDT 2019

I've had these 2 Case VACs (one running and driving decent and one apart
and not running) for a number of years  but have not done much work on
either of them beyond stuff like tire work and superficial things on the
running one.
When it comes down to messing with the innards I'm finding things a little
alien. The engine is of course fairly cut and dried and the owners manual
(PDF) covers it fairly well. At this point the engine of the running one
doesn't need anything but a bit of tweaking in the governor department. No
smoke, no noises. I have a DVD of the parts manual here "someplace" but it
has slipped under something else... I don't have a "service" manual for
this one yet.
As I said it is kind of alien to me. Before I bought these two VACs (and a
VAI that I acquired for son Scott) I had never even driven a Case Tractor.
My background was with Fords and Ferguson and Massey Fergusons and Farmalls
and several Allis models etc.
As I understand it there are three compartments behind the engine, the belt
pulley / hydraulic pump section, the torque tube section and the trans-axle
section. Each of the three sections have their own drain plug and fill
plug. My information gap is are all three sections sealed completely from
each other or do the torque and trans-axle share lube. Is there anything in
the torque tube besides the main shaft? I wouldn't think so. On about
everything else I have the main shaft runs in a dry zone. Not sure why this
one is wet?
The pulley / pump section calls for 10 weight oil, the torque tube calls
for the same thing as the trans-axle.
Maybe it's just been too long of a day...  :-)

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com