[AT] [at] towing tractors with a pickup

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Mar 30 08:59:27 PDT 2019

On 3/30/2019 8:31 AM, James Peck wrote:
> Earlier in my life, Ohio, the state of my birth, had two classifications of license plates for trucks, farm and commercial. Farm plates were much more reasonably priced. The price difference led to lots of abuse. A farmer we knew told of getting stopped in an upscale Cleveland suburb and the interior of the panel truck with farm plates was inspected for evidence that the vehicle was actually on a farm related trip, which it wasn't. That man started carrying a crate of fruit for evidence he was on a farm related trip. Ohio created a noncommercial classification instead of the farm classification.

Yes, abuse happens to any program like that. Farm gas dyed purple used
to be half the price of road (car) gas so it helped sell a lot of pickup
trucks here. Nothing wrong with that but as well, a lot of classic
50s-60s cars were chopped down to turn them into a truck. Its true, with
the back of the roof cut off we could license those former cars with an
"F" plate. Cheap, and cheap gas in the tank. Kind of breaks your heart
to look at a 56 Pontiac sitting in the bush at a farm auction with the
back of the roof cut off.

Ralph in Sask.

---
https://www.avg.com