[AT] FW: towing tractors with a pickup

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 22:38:29 PDT 2019

A revenue hungry law enforcement official seeing the farm wagons going down the road behind a pickup might deem it pulling an unlicensed uninsured unbraked unlighted trailer on the public highway without an approved ball hitch or safety chains. We are lucky enforcement is so lax.

When we look at European photos, they tend to be moving harvested crops on big two axle dually trailers where the tongue is supported by the tractor drawbar.

I saw a hay wagon once that had a decided wander to it. The frame was stretched out to the last hole. It was loaded with Birds Foot Trefoil hay and being pulled by another loaded wagon that wandered but less.. Going down hill the wandering trailer wandered off to the more downhill side and tipped over. I do not remember any broken bales.

[Farmer] <snip>Today the scary towing going on is fertilizer dealer employees pulling two full anhydrous nurse tank wagons behind a pickup running 50 MPH. That and the guys (and a few women) towing two 300 bushel hopper wagons at near highway speeds behind a stock 1/2 ton pickup. <snip>