[AT] towing tractors with a pickup

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Mar 28 08:15:41 PDT 2019

On 3/28/2019 8:37 AM, James Peck wrote:
> Back around the winter of early 64 (I think) I was part of a group staying at a camp for the weekend. This is back when the ground would be snow covered for several months each winter. The camp was near the bottom of a long dirt road hill covered with packed snow. We had all brought sleds, even the girls, and were sledding on this hill and others.
>
> Some locals had a big sit erect steerable wooden sled. They were pulling the sled (I never saw this part) with a big yellow wide front Minneapolis Moline. They were apparently dropping the tow rope and then the tractor would run ahead of the sled down the hill. If you were belly slamming down that hill and heard the tractor it was time to get off to the side. You wanted to stay clear of the big sled as well which was only seconds behind. The tractor was used to tow the sled back up.
>
> Minneapolis Moline and bigger tractors were uncommon in the area. It was the only one of that model I had ever seen.
>
> It might have been this one. Production years are right.
>
> http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/9/7/976-minneapolis-moline-g705-photos.html

A neighbour had a slightly older model MM G6 years ago. Had installed
duals (18.4x34) for traction and floatation. They had a fast road gear.
He had a serious accident with it towing a fold up 36 foot rod weeder. A
rear axle broke and he was lucky not to have been seriously injured. The
cab on the tractor likely saved him from the rod weeder. Seems like some
of those early tractors did not have the axle strength for duals. Heard
of a 930 Case breaking axles with duals too.

Ralph in Sask.

---
https://www.avg.com