[AT] Raymond Loewy and Cockshutt

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Wed Mar 27 04:56:45 PDT 2019

Raymond Loewy is also responsible for the exterior and interior design
of the post-WW2 passenger trains of the Monon Railroad. The Monon, a
uniquely Hoosier railroad, ran through my grandparents' farm near
Leipsic - that line is, sadly, now abandoned, but when I was a
youngster, hosted 6 to 12 heavy freight trains every day.

Tractor/farming connection: On at least two occasions, the Monon was a
factor in grass fires on the family farm...once when a locomotive
sparked a fire, and another time when *we* started a fire in wheat
stubble with a bad muffler on our grain truck...but couldn't get the
tractor and disk to the fire because it was on the other side of the
railroad and a train happened along at just the wrong time. IIRC, each
of those fires burned at least 20 acres, although in both cases there
was no 'economic' damage - the fire set by the train burned off a field
that we were going to plow within a few weeks anyway.

 From our historical society's website, https://monon.org, here is an
artist's view of the Loewy-designed livery for Monon passenger trains:

Mark J
Columbia MO
Enthusiastic fan of things that make smoke, noise, and get the job
done...tractors, trains, and rockets in particular!