[AT] Charging batteries

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Tue Mar 12 19:18:42 PDT 2019

You folks may remember the trouble I had with my John Deere 430V. Wouldn’t ever really charge, was hard to get the starter to turn it over.

So I took the starter to a local shop, who said the starter was on it’s last leg. New brushes, commutator turning, bushings, etc. I put it it in and the symptom didn’t really change - still could be slow to spin the engine.   If you could get it spinning it would start, but it just would barely “lump” over at times.

While scratching my head on that, I moved to the generator that wasn’t charging. I took it to the local shop, and they said the generator was fine but the voltage regulator was badly out of adjustment. I installed them, and the charging problem went away. But the starting problem remained. That’s when I looked at the battery cables and saw that the “6 V cables“ that I bought when I got the engine freed were only two gauge. So I had custom double zero cables made up and the problem is gone. Starts on the second revolution every time.  Assuming I don’t honk up the choke. (-;

Farmer’s mantra maybe “check the grounds”, but my mantra is check the cable gauge...

Spencer Yost