[AT] AT -Battery desulfator

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 21:54:20 PDT 2019

They are showing a hydrometer you can get from Walmart.

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/battery-specific-gravity-test.html

[Jason] The quickest way to test for a bad cell is with a very hydrometer.  If they're all the same reading, charge and retest. But if all except one read good then you have a bad cell

[James Peck] I am interested in how you go about testing batteries for shorted cells.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/difficulties_with_testing_batteries

[Spencer Yost] Schumacher makes a desulfanator/charger that has saved several batteries. It actually was a gift to my son about 20 years ago (I love giving gifts that I can borrow :-) ). But when he moved to Raleigh it went with him so I don’t have it nearby to look at model numbers or anything.  I remember the price being on the high-end of the Schumacher line. A quick search of current models does not turn up anything that is exactly like the one I bought.

[Richard Walker] I have half a dozen old 12V vehicle batteries that check out good for not having any shorted cells, but fail a load test right after charging.  And I use a 50-year-old Schumacher charger that will charge completely dead batteries, unlike the modern electronic "smart" chargers that won't turn on if hooked to a totally discharged battery.   My results with cheap "desulfators" have been mostly unsuccessful. From their personal experience, does anybody have a make and model recommendation for a good battery desulfator?  Not necessarily a maintainer, but something more robust that will revive a battery in bad shape in a few days or a week.